Wednesday, September 8, 2010

"They always say time changes things..."


“...but you actually have to change them yourself.”







Today at work I was reading the latest issue of O Magazine. I don’t particularly care for Dr. Phil telling me how to get over my Daddy issues or being told meditation is the key to weight loss--it’s actually exercise. But, that aside two articles struck me. Two articles in a 250 paged magazine. I find that to be a staggering amount given I typically read every article in the magazine. Unless it is just too much for me to stomach at that point, which usually Dr. Phil is. I did what the average American would do, flip through the pages and look at what caught my eye. I never read the articles. I just browsed the photographs, smelled the perfume and wasted the 4 bucks it cost me. Back to the subject at hand--change.


What I gathered from the articles: Everyone is caught up in change. What about the pure goodness of things unchanged? I thought of Franklinville and how it’s always the same--probably always will be. It sometimes feels as though time--if just for a moment--stands still there. My last visit home I went with a friend to Case Lake and while we were there I couldn’t help but feel content. I could never be happy living in that town but it brings me so much comfort knowing it’ll always be the way I remembered. I thought of my life and how much I’ve changed over the past year or two. I was reminded to continue to be the girl who loves to sit and play the piano--even if it’s not done with the ease it once was. Keep on laughing when it seems life has kicked me in the shins for what seems like the millionth time. Oh and finally, remember to quit trying to change others and change yourself.


I am easily annoyed. It’s just how I roll. I’ve also diagnosed myself with A.D.D. which you could gather from reading this and how I jump from topic to topic and hopefully tie them back together. Oh well if I don’t. Things that other people brush off irritate me beyond belief--for instance whistling. No one wants to hear your horrid rendition of Jingle Bells in July or the Andy Griffith Theme at 7 am. I’m sorry, I sure as shit don’t. But short of choking that person who is typically my boss, I usually can’t do anything but be annoyed. However, I have found a remedy, turning my iPod up so I don’t have to hear it. It is a much better solution than wanting to throat chop my boss. Or is it? It’s easy to point a finger at someone and be angry by their actions but it’s just as easy to change your reaction or remove yourself from the situation.


Hopefully in two weeks I’ll be rambling my nonsense from America--while drinking a glass of cheap boxed wine or a Busch Light. At this point either will suffice, hello cheap date.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ashley!! Thanks so much for your comment! I got my Polaroid 600 film from my boss, but they have some available at The Impossible Project! http://www.theimpossibleproject.com/

    I also have a Polaroid Pogo and I LOVE IT! You should check out this video:

    http://www.vimeo.com/8828331

    ReplyDelete
  2. That video was AMAZING! Hopefully mine will be waiting for me when I get back to the States in a few weeks. Those ideas were all awesome and thanks for the website info!!

    ReplyDelete