Monday, May 25, 2009

Productive, I think.

This weekend was just what I needed.

As I have said before this move has me stressed beyond any point of normalcy. I begin to think of everything I have left to do and freak out. I guess it is just in my nature to procrastinate. That's how I roll. I really doubt there is any strong reason why I should try and change it. I've been this way forever and probably always will be. And in the end everything always works out alright.

At least the biggest stressor in my life is over, the PT test. This bi-annual event always makes me nervous. I despise a lot of this about the Army but this has to be one of my most hated. I do not mind being judged on how well I can do something but this is just different. God forbid you fail one of the events or don't make weight. You could be the most proficient person in your specific job field but you are now considered the big shit bag of all. It really bothers me that one simple test can haunt you for what seems like an eternity. And that my friends is why I need to just walk away. I'm glad the pressure is off and I don't have to think about another one for at least a few months.

Now I turn my head to the next obstacle. Packing up my life and moving again. I love the fact that I get to move often in the Army. It's one of the reasons I joined. But as I keep harping on about, I feel like a part of my life is over now that I am leaving. I just got here 4 months ago and off I go. Saying goodbye to friends that I don't want to leave. A job that I mostly enjoy and a chapter of my life I doubt will ever see again. I hate the fact that just when things are getting good it's time to go. When I get into a flow everything is disrupted.

This weekend was phenomenal. We *the cool kids of the TMC and their respective spouses* spent a weekend drinking, cooking out and just enjoying four consecutive days off. It was just what the doctor ordered. The weather in Alaska in never predictable and fortunately for us turned out quite well. The mosquito's resisted the temptation to eat us alive, probably due to massive amounts of bug spray and tiki torches. We laughed, made smores and all in all had a marvelous time. When I returned back to my room yesterday I realized these are the kind of people I need in my life. Not just for a few months when we are at the same duty station but for a life time. I hope that we all stay in contact but I'm not naive enough to think that we will.

Last night after getting some dinner and watching the new Terminator movie with Mollie and my two buddies from Wainwright I once again returned back to my room. I changed and proceeded downstairs to see Chris. I've know him since shortly after joining the Army. We talked about old times and random people. How people change once they leave Alaska and forget where they come from. We both agreed and hoped that wasn't what we did. I know we all move on but I hope I'm not the one people say that about. After slurping down a few Captain and cokes I came upstairs. I guess due to staying up all night the last few days I couldn't fall asleep. I watched a few episodes of the Golden Girls and finally passed out.

I woke up around 530 this morning after having a ridiculous nightmare. Most wouldn't consider this a real nightmare but it was to me. Everyone knows drinking and driving is wrong. I myself do not do it. I refuse to make someone else suffer for my mistakes. Anyone in the military knows they will hang your ass if you get a DWI and if you are stupid enough to try and get on post after drinking well you deserve what you get. It all starts off when I for whatever reason left the bar where we were drinking. I had my friends Mollie and Rita in the car with me, it was not the KIA. It was my old '95 Corsica with the broken drivers seat. The seat would randomly unlatch itself and slide back when I was driving. Safe, I know. We pulled up to the gate to get on post and I was adjusting my seat. The gate guard asked how much I had been drinking. I spouted off, "just a few margaritas." He had me pull over my car into the parking lot by the visitors center. We all got out of the car and they told us to come sit inside. He said he wasn't going to give me a DWI but I had to sit here and sober up. I agreed and apologized. Well after sitting there for about 2.5 seconds Rita said lets bail and that she would drive. For whatever reason I followed and jumped in the backseat of the car. We flew through the gate and wound up at some JR/SR prom type event. We were trying to be all incognito, hard to do when you are in jeans and a t-shirt and everyone else is in formal attire. But whatever, a man came up and pulled my arm. Did the come with me Ms. Covert thing and took me away. This is the point where I woke up in a cold sweat. I can't even remember the last time I remembered a dream. That was random.

Last night before the nightmare, I vowed to myself that I would not get up until after noon. Well I kept that promise to myself and rolled out of bed around 1:45 today. It felt so good to sleep in my own bed and not on my buddies couch. At least the weekend was not wasted completely I did manage to clean my room and go through a few things. To include shoes. I know this is unbelievable but I did get rid of 5 pairs of shoes today! Wow, chalk that up as a success. Well I guess I should stop rambling on about nothing and go be productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment